Saturday, April 24, 2010

Response to Jenna's "What?"

Response #16

In Jenna Haley's blog, she responded to Mary Marcil's post about how an individual's set of ethics can be changed by aesthetics. She states that an emotion can change someone forever and the work of art does have the ability to change a life. She uses the example of a painting. It can make you see something in a different way than you have known it all of your life. It can make you realize something new about yourself. So, ethics can be changed in this way. Jenna asks, "Do you think a piece of art of any kind, a book, a painting, can change a person’s life?"

I think anything can really be life changing, depending on the person. When I look at certain paintings and other art forms, I may find inspiration and motivation from the message communicated but it has never changed my life, exactly. That doesn't mean it can't change someone's life. However, there is a book that I would say changed my life because it was the first book I ever read and enjoyed. It got me to love to read and is called Weeping Willow by Ruth White. I was always forced to read in school so I never liked it but I fell in love with the characters and the plot line that it got me curious about other books. Turns out, reading is pretty much my favorite thing to do. There are songs that I have listened to and have gotten so much out of. In a way, they really have made a difference in my life and are important to me. I think every person has different feelings about how art affects them but I know art can be life changing. The purpose of some forms of art --movies, books, paintings, songs, etc-- are to make a difference in a person's life and let them see the world in a new way. Some art does an outstanding job of affecting the way people see the world and some art really can have a large impact on a person.

My question to you is: Is there a piece of art (movie, book, song, painting) that has changed your life? How so?


I chose this painting because it symbolizes the strength of women, in my opinion, and is inspiring to me in many ways. :) I thought it fit nicely with this post.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Well done. Answer for me is Alice in Wonderland. Self discovery and removed from reality

    ReplyDelete